Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Playing and Projects

When Poppie and Nonnie came the first week of February we were able to get a lot done! Well, Poppie and Peter got a lot done - some much anticipated projects that I've been waiting years for are finally happening!! I'm so excited!

First, they tackled the construction of our experimental concrete countertops. I love the floors of Home Depot and I've always wanted that look for our kitchen counters. Peter has tried numerous times to talk me into just buying granite. But the really cheap side of me can't stand it, plus, I hate the look of granite. So, because he's the most wonderful hubby ever, and my Pops was here and is very knowledgable in the ways of everything DIY. They started the concrete process!


Peter tinting and mixing the cement.


Pops vibrating the molds to get out the air bubbles.

Who knows how this is going to turn out? I'm just excited that he's trying it. The next step is to take them out of the molds. They've been in there for a month now, so I think they're ready.

Then, they got all ambitious and decided to upgrade our fireplace! I've always had a vision of what I wanted it to look like and they did it! It didn't even take them that long. Peter even put in matching slate, built a frame for our huge mirror, and they installed light sconces. I love the end result!




Now I just have to figure out what to put on it.

It wasn't all work, we got to play too, although, I think Poppie thinks the work is play. He had to take it easy, because he had just had knee surgery.

It was probably harder work to take all the kids to Build-A-Bear! It was finally time for Opal to go and get her choice animal and stuff it with fluff. She picked a kitty and the rest of the kids got to watch her and help. While they were at the mall, Peter and I had some alone time!!


And this is just a cute picture of Nonnie and all the kids in the kitchen at the Olympia Children's Museum. Which happened at some point. It was a busy week!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Love the make-over! I'm just gettin started of a few things here too- something about Spring... and Scott being gone that really get me in the house beautification mood. Oh, and I've seen concrete counters a lot on the HGTV shows! Way to be a cheap and fashionable! :-)

Cathi Tague said...

Oh my goodness! Seeing these pictures makes me want to jump on a plane and be there right now to hug and play with the kids again. Can't wait to come in May for baby Oley. Love, Nonnie

Tiffany Nevil said...

Ooohhh...the suspense builds in the counter top process....

Jessy said...

The fireplace looks great!

Next time you're down here for HOCM, give me a call! I'm about 15 minutes away!