Friday, September 19, 2008

Papa Day

August 11th was the first year we didn't have Papa here on earth to celebrate his birthday. So we celebrated Lyman Roy Whitney's birthday, by having Papa Day! We did things Papa would've liked the whole day. First, we had a Papa breakfast:


Eben and Peter making the banana pancakes - Papa's favorite! I think they're disgusting, to make it worse he would put peanut butter on them, but hey - only for you Papa.


Bubba was our Papa mascot. He looks a lot like Papa anyway, but dressed in the white t-shirt with the pulled up sweatpants, a Papa hat, paintbrush in one hand and golf club in the other, I think we got it just right. Way to go Bubs!


Everyone eating our Papa pancakes. Oh yes, and that's white Karo's corn syrup. That's what our family has always put on pancakes, french toast, or waffles - call it crazy, but it's good. I think it's a Whitney thing.


Next, we all went on a walk to clean our road. Dawning the appropriate safety gear and grabbers we headed out in search of trash. Something Papa would've been proud of. He loved helping others and making his community a better place. And he definitely did a good of instilling those values in his children and grandchildren.


Our plans were to go miniature golfing because Papa loved to golf, but I ruined them by falling asleep on the couch and everyone just left me alone and let me sleep??? So Peter built a railing for the stairs up to the mother-in-law. Which is something Papa would also have been proud of, since he loved to use his hands and work and help out with projects, although his usually involved painting. I think Mamacita and Mimi covered that area by working in Kivi and Opal's room on the other days.


We finished off the day with a trip to Super Buffet in Dupont. For anyone who hasn't been there and likes Chinese food - it's a must. There is tons of food and it's really good! If Papa had been with us, it would've taken him 4 hours to eat it all - he was the slowest eater ever! But he would've loved it - except for the screaming Jasper part, I think he cried the whole time. 

Anyway, it was a good day and fun to have my family up for the occasion. It was a great way to pass on the memories of Papa to the kids. We know that if Papa was still with us he would've had a good time. But we could never beat the partying he's doing now in heaven and I know he would choose where is now even over being with us! 
We love you Papa! Give God a big hug for me!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I never liked banana pancakes either but they were also a favorite of my mom's. Blech! Though peanut butter might just make them edible to me. Peanut butter solves just about any food problem in my opinion. It's almost the perfect food.