Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Eben the Six Year Old Scientist!

Eben turned 6 on October 20th!! How'd that happen? I still completely remember my sister fainting at my side in the hospital room while I was pushing him out!

Well, this year Eben decided to have a science theme party. He loves experiments, inventing, and messes. So I made him a lab coat and we rounded up all the ingredients necessary to perform our scientific experiments. Eben was so excited for this day!

Our experiments included:
- sucking an egg into a bottle
- making Oobleck
- making snot
- lighting a volcano on fire
- exploding Coke with Mentos
- air powered car races
and our one failed experiment:
- dinner.

Don't try to make 13 Easy Mac Macaroni and Cheese packets at one time. It doesn't work. It turns into goo. But hey, it totally fit the experiment criteria.


The beginning of making Oobleck:

Afterward, this was the messiest room ever! Oobleck is really fun, but very slimey, drippy and gets all over the place.

Dada showing off the snot he made. He got really good at it.



Watching the volcano erupt. It spewed ash everywhere. I hope it wasn't that toxic.



The Coke/Mentos explosion. It was super fast, but super cool!


Eben and his scientist colleages.


The big 6 year old and his microscope cake. Yes, the crazy boy found a picture on the internet of a microscope and said, "Yes, Mama, this is it! This is what I want my cake to look like!" I said "Are you serious? You think I can make a cake look like that?" He says, " Yes, Mama, you can do it! I believe in you. Just try." How could I say no to that? The whole time I was making it he was so encouraging and kept telling me it was the best cake ever. As you can tell however, it was only big enough for about 6 kids to have cake. Oh well. Eben was ecstatic, and it was his day.

All in all, it was a fun, crazy, tiring night. Our science boy loved it and felt loved by all his friends and family who came to celebrate with him. And I still can't believe my first little bald headed baby is six!

Happy birthday Eben! Keep discovering, experimenting, inventing, and creating! Use that amazing brain God gave you and have fun figuring out the exciting world He created. We love you so much!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

You Johnsons always have the coolest parties!! Abby, your creativity never ceases to amaze me! Love ya, girl!

Cathi Tague said...

Eben,
You are such an amazing boy! When God created you He must have smiled so big - knowing how much joy you would bring to your family (including me) and everyone you meet. Enjoy being 6. I love you!, Love, Nonnie

Tiffany Nevil said...

SO FUN!!!

Deb said...

Happy Birthday Eben! You share a birthday with my Hannah! Looks like you had a great party! (way to go mom!) :-)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!