Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The 4th of July

WARNING!  The following post is not from my lovely wife, Abby, and therefore will be lacking the usual quality, editing and thoughtfulness you've come to expect from previous postings.  This is Peter doing my annual blog catch up.  That being said, enjoy my random selection of unedited photos, not-so-carefully companioned to my vague and inaccurate captions!

We hosted our annual 4th of July party.  No deaths, dismemberments, 3rd degree burns- so by my standards a raging success!


We took eight shots just like this one.  Believe me, this is the best of the lot.  To me it looks like a bad Christian rock album cover with all the band members looking off in the middle distance in different directions.



After seven years of sparkler pictures ending in burns, smokey eyes and corporate complaining from all of our friends, this year we switched to chinese lanterns.  The Lakewood fire marshal says illegal and dangerous.  I say festive and patriotic! Potato, potato.



In the end, I think about 35 made it into the wild, blue yonder, 10 ended up in the lake next to the dock and one daredevil ended up stuck in the branches of our 90 year old evergreen tree (as pictured in the left hand side of the picture below)  where it kept us all mesmerized, burning for about 5 minutes before its anti-climactic demise.
I was expecting all of my neighbors to focus their arsenal of bottle rockets and mortars toward our lanterns and coordinate a land to air attack, but instead the lake grew relatively quiet for several minutes.  It was a surprisingly peaceful and beautiful sight, and I think it's a tradition that bears repeating.  Unless there are any votes to bring back the sparkler picture? Anyone? Anyone?
Bueller?




1 comment:

Momacita said...

I love the Chinese lanterns - very ethereal (definition - extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world). Peter, your photo selections are great, and your comments sarcastically funny!!!
Love,
Momacita