Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pioneers

 On September 22, I thought it was funny that our hobbies suddenly looked so "pioneer". The boys were outside "helping" Dada chop wood. Which is a new hobby of Peter's since installing the wood burning fireplace, and our only source of heat thus far during our cold fall. Yesterday he said, "I don't think we'll have enough wood to get us through the winter." And I thought it sounded so funny, like we were living in the olden days.  But I'm so proud of him. He works so hard to keep us warm and starts a fire every morning at 5:00 am, comes back home at lunch to keep it going and starts another fire in the evening and sometimes before we go to bed. ( No, it's not one of those new efficient stoves.) I feel very cared for and protected. The boys copied his every move. Jasper went straight for his chain-saw and Eben fashioned his own ax out of wood.

The girls were inside (by the warm fire) sewing. I was making quilts for the girl's new pink and black French country bedroom. (Still not done.) Kivi got out her lace up animals so she could sew too. And Opal laid on the floor like a happy clam.


"You are teaching me to be a mama, right Mama?"  Kivi

1 comment:

Tiffany Nevil said...

WOW! You guys are so pioneer-esque!